I love doing bridesmaids makeup – although I do have to say there is a tendency for bridesmaid’s to ask for a deeply smokey eye and big brows for their wedding look. While I do love a big brow & smokey design this look will not suit every occasion, and in some circumstances, will clash dramatically with their outfits. An alternative which I think works really well is a nice light brown eye – neatly lined with a pencil that has a slight sparkle to it. This just subtly brings the eyes out, whilst not detracting from the bride’s own makeup design. It seems to always work for younger bridesmaids, as it keeps their glowing youth whilst giving them a little something extra.
Something which I have as my own personal ethos as a makeup artist is I will NEVER cover freckles up. There are 2 reasons for this. 1) Your freckles are apart of you and should be celebrated like everything else about who you are. To cover them should be a criminal offence as freckles are super cute! 2) Covering up freckles using foundation can result in the skin looking over-done and the foundation looking milky over them, so I vow never to do it!
Book your bridal tribe in for your wedding day by sending me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
A WOW cannot begin to describe yesterday! Fab weather, stunning venue and more importantly… gorgeous wedding couples!! The weather definitely helped to bring everyone to the Bridal Bazaar at Houghton Lodge Gardens. And with big names such as Ikonworks, Jemima Cakes, Meringue Girls (from Hackney of all places!) And firm wedding favourites like Judith Searles Flowers, Exquisite Bridal Couture and Angela Ward Brown – the place was packed… ALWAYS!! I was inundated with enquiries and felt so privileged to be a part of this amazing project run by the glamorous What Peggy Did Next team. I just had enough time to take a quick snap of these glorious meringues… as a makeup artist all this colour makes me very happy!!
See if you can spot the one they call Unicorn Poo!
Yes, the big question… should you hire a makeup artist for your wedding? It’s a question every bride puts to themselves – shortly followed by the follow up question… or can I get away with it myself? Often I think the answer is in the ‘get away with’ part. Do you really want your wedding makeup to be something you ‘get away with’? If you’re at that stage of questioning, then here are my top 5 reasons for booking a professional make up artist for your wedding.
1. Your wedding day is not a day for ‘everyday’ makeup. You’re going to be photographed all day – and not just by a professional wedding photographer. Remember your friends and family are all equipped with cameras too. Whether it’s for photographs using natural or flash photography or meeting your guests in sunshine or by candlelight, professionally applied makeup will translate well to all mediums.
2. Do you have a million different bridal looks on Pinterest and still can’t decide what to choose? A makeup artist can translate these looks, picking out key elements that will compliment your wedding gown, hairstyle, theme and colour scheme.
3. Makeup artists know skin (!) and we can help identify the areas that may become an issue on the big day. For example, that patch of dry skin or the potential breakout that you don’t know how to deal with? We can quickly analyse the condition of the skin and give you advice on the steps you could take to avoid future problems. It’s just one less thing to worry about… and it’s all part of the service.
4. Much as I hate to admit it, weddings can be stressful! And no one would blame you for feeling a bit nervous on the big day. Having a makeup artist means there will always be a steady hand to apply that cat flick eyeliner or tackle those false eyelashes. And we’ll always have a tissue nearby as well in case things get a bit teary!
5. OK, and this is the big one: hiring a makeup artist is not cheap! But you’ve spent oodles on that gorgeous wedding venue and catering, an eye watering amount on that perfect wedding gown… why skimp on yourself? It is your wedding after all! This is your chance to be pampered by the professionals so sit back and enjoy it!
I have had the great pleasure of working with Jill Chant (the cake maker) on a recent contemporary art deco styled shoot, and I have to say I was completely blown away by her creativity and enthusiasm for the project. Known for incredible talent in the wedding world, I knew I had to have Jill work on this shoot with us! From the word go she was great at throwing ideas into the mix, and getting us to really think about that epic period of glitz and glamour – as perfectly demonstrated through her spot on cake design. Now I know why so many couples I speak to say they booked Jill almost as quickly as their wedding venue! Her cakes are just epic! I seriously can’t recommend Jill enough to anyone starting out on their wedding planning journey x
Photography by Lemontree Photography
Today I actually got to go on location at a beautiful farm in Romsey, where owner and bride Claire lives. Claire is to have a marquee wedding in one of her farm fields at Pyesmead, which often hosts similar weddings and events, so she definitely knows what she’s doing! And what a beautiful day for it!
As Claire wanted quite a laid back, easy look to match her natural wavy hair look we decided to keep it classic. With natural warm skin, a beautifully light smokey eye and pink ‘kiss me quick’ lips the design was simple, yet elegant and Claire really loved the final result. I think the key to this look is getting the blusher to almost ‘kiss’ the lips to give it that flow through the skin. I loved designing this for Claire as she is so incredibly nice, putting up with me having a summer cold of all things, and she is so stunningly beautiful too x