In their own words…
‘L.A. Girl offers beauty without compromise and beauty for all. Founded in 1985, the brands original ethos still stands strong – premium quality, on-trend, innovative beauty. With their on-trend, affordable products, L.A. Girl provides the tools for everyone (from beginner to pro MUA) to express themselves through makeup application.’
I simply love their products! L.A Girl is one of the fastest growing makeup brands currently on the market, and in my opinion easily out-does some of the more well known established brands such as YSL, especially on foundation. I came across L.A Girl after reading many of the favourable reviews and thought I’d give their pro long-wear foundation a try. Well a couple of years later and many happy bridal clients on, I am still using their products.
The models I work with are always asking what foundation is in my kit, as they love the way the skin is able to breath yet is fully covered with an even skin-tone. The weightless, hydrating formula glides onto the skin imparting gentle hydration and incredible coverage. It allows the skin to be camera ready whilst it cares for the skin x
Trinny Woodall – ‘For the last 20 years I have worked with women all over the world. I help them find the most flattering styles, the best skincare, and the most hard-working, perfectly matched, foolproof makeup ❤ As I travelled the globe, I improvised my own personalised makeup kit. In a quest for the perfect tone and consistency I would mix a stick foundation with a liquid, blend a lip tint with a gloss… I mushed up colours and decanted them into little pots. And then I thought, “there has to be a better way”. The big idea was born: a portable, versatile range of makeup, with colours to suit every woman. ❤ After 3 years of experimenting, planning, developing formulas, and state-of-the-art technology to pinpoint which makeup truly suits you, welcome to the ultimate easy, modern, do-it-everywhere, premium makeup brand: TRINNY LONDON.’
Trinny London are all about portable makeup. Whilst this is nothing new in the industry, I think the way they have marketed themselves and really pushed for all their products to be portable is refreshing. They have considered what will give the maximum amount of colour, with the minimal amount of effort and take up only a small amount of space in a standard sized handbag? I love the idea of this – not only is it better for the environment (as the pots are reusable) but also requires little skill in application, which is just perfect for everyday use.
My personal favourites are the pot blusher in ‘Fresh Flush Katja‘ and concealer ‘Miracle Blur‘
‘FLOWER Beauty was the brainchild and mission of Drew Barrymore and her straight forward, no-nonsense philosophy of empowerment: that women everywhere deserve the best quality, most efficacious products at an affordable price. Growing up in the makeup artists chair, Drew has learned a thing or two about beauty. Now as a mother, award-winning actress, entrepreneur, producer and best-selling author she wants to share her passion.
Drew’s gift to everyone, FLOWER empowers women by developing products that help you look and feel great in your Own skin, and to embrace your individual beauty with the support of inspired, luxurious products made with you in mind.
At FLOWER our passion is creating cosmetics and tools that not only make life easier and more fun, but look and feel amazing- from our prestige quality formulas, to packaging that’s designed for performance.’
Now FLOWER is making its way to Superdrug, with some products available on its website already. The products are quite basic so perfect for everyday light use and at a very affordable price, as promised by their story and mission statement. There are particularly good reviews for its Lift & Sculpt Contour Palette and Long Lasting Setting Spray. Hopefully the full range will become available soon x
Famous for it’s hand slave and lip balm containing natural ingredients such as beeswax – Burt’s Bees have now taken the leap into makeup products. But what are they like, and do they hold up to the more well established brand names?
It goes without saying that a company whose ethos is described as an “Earth friendly, Natural Personal Care Company” have created products which reflect this natural style. There are no brave striking colours like you might find well placed on the counters at MAC – instead you’ll find very neutrally toned, easily blend-able colours in their eyeshadow trios. To accompany Burt’s successful beeswax lip-balm, they have also introduced a similar moisturising formula with a hint of colour and shimmer. Their lip shimmers come in an array of beautiful shades, again keeping along the natural line. I particularly love the shades Apricot & Strawberry.
But what of their foundations and concealers? Well, to my delight and surprise Burt’s have created a formula that seems to be very silky and light weight – which can easily be built upon to create any sort of coverage. I am also impressed to see that they have created a broad range of colours, and haven’t succumbed to the major pitfall most makeup companies do by not providing their customers with choice. However, I would say that having only 3 shades for concealers – all in lighter shades does not provide the same level of choice and standard.
Overall, I would say that Burt’s new makeup range is perfect for everyday. They are simple to apply & natural in style x
Foundation seems to have a myth surrounding it that it can be difficult to master. I am often asked what the trick is to achieving a smooth finish, that doesn’t look too heavy or like a mask. The trick? Well, all it is is good quality foundation correctly colour matched. How you apply the foundation is completely up to you – whether you use fingers, a brush or sponge. What’s important is to use clean tools and adopt a method that works for you. Here are my top 10 foundations I love to use for my clients x
1. No.7 Stay Perfect Foundation
2. L.A Girl Pro Coverage HD Long Wear Illuminating Liquid Foundation
3. Elizabeth Arden Flawless Finish Mousse Makeup
4. Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay Perfect-in-Place Makeup
5. Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Gel Foundation
6. Yves Saint Laurent All Hours Foundation
7. L’Oreal Paris True Match Foundation
8. Rimmel London Stay Matte Foundation
9. Clarins True Radiance Foundation
10. Yves Saint Laurent Le Teint Touche Eclat Foundation
Everyone’s skin is different. But what all skin types benefit from is a good exfoliate once a month. Not only does it give the skin a good thorough clean, it also fights fine lines and removes dead skin cells to help the skin renewal process.
Microbeads are those harmful little plastic pellets found inside so many face scrubs, that don’t dissolve during water treatment and so end up in the ocean, causing major environmental nightmares and enough of an outcry to have them banned by 2017.
Here are my favourite microbead-free facial scrubs x
1. Alpha-H Liquid Gold
2. Epidermal Re-Texturising Micro-Dermabrasion
3. Bobbi Brown Buffing Grains for Face
4. Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant
5. Clarins One Step Gentle Exfoliating Cleanser
While they have been around on the market for quite some time now, sheet masks seem to be having something of a renaissance at the moment. With top celebrities sharing their ‘scary’ sheet masks on social media this unusual trend is definitely catching on! And who can blame them. Sheets masks work effectively by holding the product in the fabric – drip feeding the skin whilst on. Secondly they’re pretty hard to move around in, forcing you to sit down and take a few minutes to chill. So here are my top 5 sheet masks currently available on the market x
1. Charlotte Tilbury Instant Magic Facial Dry Sheet Mask
2. Estée Lauder ‘Advanced Night Repair’ Concentrated Recovery Powerfoil Mask
3. Starskin After Party Brightening Bio-Cellulose Face Mask
4. NUXE Splendieuse Anti-Dark Spot Perfecting Mask
5. Crème de la Mer The Hydrating Facial
I simply love a good lip scrub. They are so effective in how they gently scrub away flaky, chapped skin from the lips leaving a lovely smooth feeling, plus they encourage blood to the surface of the lips providing a short lived lip plumping look that also helps stimulate the healing process. So all in all they are a great little secret weapon when it comes to kissable, soft lips. And, they ALL taste amazing! Here are my top fave 5 x
1. Jeffree Star Cosmetics Velour Lip Scrub Valentines Collection in Chocolate covered Strawberries
2. Lush Lip Scrub in Bubblegum
3. Jeffree Star Cosmetics Velour Lip Scrub in Strawberry Gum
4. Lush Lip Scrub in The Kiss – soon to be discontinued
5. Jeffree Star Cosmetics Velour Lip Scrub Valentines Collection in Candy Necklace
I’m gonna be super honest now and confess I am not a fan of airbrush makeup. And it’s not through lack of trying or not being open to non-traditional makeup application methods – I just find personally it doesn’t work for me or my clients. Don’t get me wrong I loved it when I was training to be a makeup artist and using it with prosthetics! But does it have a purpose in the beauty industry? Well I’m gonna talk you through some of the pros and cons of airbrushing x
1. Airbrush makeup is silicone based, which means that it lasts for a long time and is water resistant.
2. Airbrushing allows for an even application of the foundation spray when expertly applied.
3. Airbrushing is a minimal coverage technique – great for those who only want a very light touch of foundation.
4. As airbrush makeup dries super quick you can add layers if required.
1. Now this is the main reason I don’t use airbrushing – it flakes! Airbrush makeup is fab on perfectly moisturised, hydrated skin with no marks, scars or spots.
2. It’s extremely difficult to re-blend with airbrushing or regular makeup. So if you do end up with a few tears and the makeup streaks, there’s no way to recover this.
3. Because the foundation used for airbrushing is a different formula to traditional foundation, there is a limited shade selection to choose from.
4. It’s more expensive. For most makeup artists airbrushing is seen as an add-on and is typically more expensive than regular makeup application.
Many of you already know, through reading this blog, that I am a complete advocate of the false eyelash. When paired correctly and applied perfectly – I truly believe falsies can take a beautiful makeup design to the next level of awesomeness, so I am always on the look out for the next best false eyelashes on the market. And I think I’ve found my next holy grail of lashes via beauty blogger and gorgeous red head Rosie Bea.
I am really blown over by these lashes at the moment – it’s not just the range of width and length, but also the wonderfully delicate (and easily disguisable) lash band which just makes it an absolute must for my brides. These are also awesome to use on bridesmaids I’ve already bought and used 50 pairs so that must tell you something! x