A very common worry among brides (when considering to hire a makeup artist) is that they will not look like themselves, or that they will be too heavily made up. There isn’t a bride alive who doesn’t want that pleasant in-take of breath when she enters the room, and see’s her guests and partner for the first time. You want to be breathtaking for all the right reasons, and any makeup artist worth her salt will always strive to help create that moment for you. Here are a few myth busters to help you make your choice.
1. One of the most common fears surrounding hiring a makeup artist, is that you will be made to look too heavily ‘made up’ and covered in foundation. Believe me, no one wants that! True, we will use slightly more products than than your usual everyday look, but that is only because the makeup design has to work well for meeting guests, different lighting effects, professional photographs and lasting the distance on what is a joyful – but long day.
2. At the makeup trial you will be asked what is usual for you in terms of your everyday look, and what products you like to use. That way we can design something that is very typically you, yet slightly tweaked to be the very best version of yourself. A makeup artist is not there to experiment and try out the latest trends on you (only if you want to though!) We’re here to give a guiding hand to create something that is uniquely you, yet translates well to all mediums.
3. Ok, yes we use a lot more products than you’re used to. There are eye primers, facial primers, an array of eyeshadows, setting sprays, vitamin sprays the list is endless. But we only use what we need to, to achieve that flawless base or that gorgeous smokey eye – the key is thin build-able layers that just looks seamless in it’s execution. Basically, don’t panic when I open the makeup kit!
Designed to invoke images of far flung places, unique beauty and above all be a safe & relaxing place. It’s always nice to bring friends & family along to big decisions, and with my spacious new studio the more the merrier! 🌴
Getting married in 2020 and still need a hair and makeup artist to compliment your big day? Then get in touch either via my website’s contact page, or by sending me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org £100 deposit secures your special date x
Coming soon to Donna’s website are these star burst hair combs, which are just perfect to place in a half up/half down hairstyle – a classic favoured by many brides. Here I have done soft waves with twists to give the look a modern edge. The look can be made cuter by using plaits such as a dutch braid or fishtail plait x
Brace yourselves ladies – this one’s a bit controversial! If a friend offers to do your make up for your wedding it is obviously a beautiful gesture and is always done with the best intentions. Unfortunately, sometimes the pressure of the occasion just hits home and they pull out or the friend can no longer attend the wedding – usually because of the pressure of the occasion! Here are a few things to consider when asking should a friend to do your wedding makeup.
1. Your friend is amazing at makeup and has agreed to do the makeup for you and your bridesmaids for free as a gift. But is that same person attending your wedding? Will they have time to get ready themselves?
2. Will your friend by using her own make up or will she be using products that are designed for your skin type and colour?
3. Have you had a makeup trial with your friend and discussed the look you want, ensuring it will complement your dress, colour scheme and theme?
4. Worst case scenario here: your friend has done a wonderful look… but you hate it! How do you break the news? Sorry, that one’s a bit bleak but I’ve seen it happen and it can put a real dampener on your big day.
5. Remember to get your friend a lovely present to say thank you for being part of your big day.
Yes, the big question… should you hire a makeup artist for your wedding? It’s a question every bride puts to themselves – shortly followed by the follow up question… or can I get away with it myself? Often I think the answer is in the ‘get away with’ part. Do you really want your wedding makeup to be something you ‘get away with’? If you’re at that stage of questioning, then here are my top 5 reasons for booking a professional make up artist for your wedding.
1. Your wedding day is not a day for ‘everyday’ makeup. You’re going to be photographed all day – and not just by a professional wedding photographer. Remember your friends and family are all equipped with cameras too. Whether it’s for photographs using natural or flash photography or meeting your guests in sunshine or by candlelight, professionally applied makeup will translate well to all mediums.
2. Do you have a million different bridal looks on Pinterest and still can’t decide what to choose? A makeup artist can translate these looks, picking out key elements that will compliment your wedding gown, hairstyle, theme and colour scheme.
3. Makeup artists know skin (!) and we can help identify the areas that may become an issue on the big day. For example, that patch of dry skin or the potential breakout that you don’t know how to deal with? We can quickly analyse the condition of the skin and give you advice on the steps you could take to avoid future problems. It’s just one less thing to worry about… and it’s all part of the service.
4. Much as I hate to admit it, weddings can be stressful! And no one would blame you for feeling a bit nervous on the big day. Having a makeup artist means there will always be a steady hand to apply that cat flick eyeliner or tackle those false eyelashes. And we’ll always have a tissue nearby as well in case things get a bit teary!
5. OK, and this is the big one: hiring a makeup artist is not cheap! But you’ve spent oodles on that gorgeous wedding venue and catering, an eye watering amount on that perfect wedding gown… why skimp on yourself? It is your wedding after all! This is your chance to be pampered by the professionals so sit back and enjoy it!
Throughout this Spring season I am finding that more bridesmaids (and brides for that matter) are favouring a more loose, beachy tousled style for the big day. And I for one LOVE this design. It’s relatively simple to achieve, a little time consuming, but the pay off is so worth it. This sort of style does suit lighter hair as the layers are easy to distinguish and the waves are a lot more visible. What’s also great about this look is that is it then very easy to put up into a half up half down twist – that way adding a comb or flowers is easy and very effective x
Contact me to book in for your hair trial at email@example.com