Tight skin, rough knuckles, chapped lips? Say hello to winter, about to wreak havoc from head-to-toe. To show it who’s boss, I’ve tried and researched the best winter moisturisers that will keep skin happily hydrated throughout the cold snap.
Last month I was invited to provide hair and makeup services for model Gemma – on a styled shoot for The Montagu Arms Hotel, and their new wedding brochure. I was delighted to get involved as I regularly provide my services to brides getting married here, and simply love this venue. The brief was ‘Autumnal Bride’ so I decided to use smokey browns, with delicate glitter and a pink burgundy lip.
Yes, the big question… should you hire a makeup artist for your wedding? It’s a question every bride puts to themselves – shortly followed by the follow up question… or can I get away with it myself? Often I think the answer is in the ‘get away with’ part. Do you really want your wedding makeup to be something you ‘get away with’? If you’re at that stage of questioning, then here are my top 5 reasons for booking a professional make up artist for your wedding.
1. Your wedding day is not a day for ‘everyday’ makeup. You’re going to be photographed all day – and not just by a professional wedding photographer. Remember your friends and family are all equipped with cameras too. Whether it’s for photographs using natural or flash photography or meeting your guests in sunshine or by candlelight, professionally applied makeup will translate well to all mediums.
2. Do you have a million different bridal looks on Pinterest and still can’t decide what to choose? A makeup artist can translate these looks, picking out key elements that will compliment your wedding gown, hairstyle, theme and colour scheme.
3. Makeup artists know skin (!) and we can help identify the areas that may become an issue on the big day. For example, that patch of dry skin or the potential breakout that you don’t know how to deal with? We can quickly analyse the condition of the skin and give you advice on the steps you could take to avoid future problems. It’s just one less thing to worry about… and it’s all part of the service.
4. Much as I hate to admit it, weddings can be stressful! And no one would blame you for feeling a bit nervous on the big day. Having a makeup artist means there will always be a steady hand to apply that cat flick eyeliner or tackle those false eyelashes. And we’ll always have a tissue nearby as well in case things get a bit teary!
5. OK, and this is the big one: hiring a makeup artist is not cheap! But you’ve spent oodles on that gorgeous wedding venue and catering, an eye watering amount on that perfect wedding gown… why skimp on yourself? It is your wedding after all! This is your chance to be pampered by the professionals so sit back and enjoy it!
Whether you’re into nail designs and want sparkling bridal nail art or prefer natural nails, picking your wedding day varnish can be a tough decision to make. Firstly, it’s got to go with your wedding dress, but it’s also got to stand the test of time without chipping half way down the aisle or an hour into the reception.
Luckily, I’ve rounded up my favourite pearly pinks and beautiful beige shades to help you make your decision x
I have a confession to make. I am a former nail biter! I’m not going to lie it took a lot of patience and time to kick this lifetime habit. And it all started with starting to plan my wedding and wanting to make sure my nails (which were in a sorry mess at the time) were not going to let me down. Especially as my good friend and wedding photographer Mia mentioned that she would be taking a few ‘wedding ring’ shots, which immediately spurred me into action! Don’t get me wrong there were plenty of relapses on the lead up to the wedding, as no wedding is completely stress free! I learnt a lot of things along the way that helped me kick this naughty habit and now I’m going to share them with you x
Let’s get started!
1. Buy the wedding nail polish you want to wear and get excited about putting on that first coat of polish! Often if you can visualise what your nails are going to be like by the end of your journey, then it makes it all the easier to make a good start.
2. Often our hair and nails need a little help in getting the right vitamins to them, so try adding a supplement to your daily routine. I personally love Imedeen Derma One teamed with Imedeen Hair & Nails so my skin and nails get a kick start. Also Perfectil is a wonder and slightly cheaper, but still as good. Always check with your local GP before taking any supplements.
3. Get off to a good start by having a professional manicure to improve the cuticles and shape of the nails (be that with tiny nails for now!) This will ensure good habits and make you want to keep up the good work.
4. Avoid the temptation to have false nails applied for your wedding. I honestly don’t know why these have not been banned yet! False nails are incredibly bad for your own nail bed – cutting off the air supply to your nails can make them brittle, yellow and left with unsightly ridges. All those chemicals are not good for the nails, or your lungs! There’s a reason why they all wear masks in nail salons…
5. Regularly paint your nails in expensive nail polish, or top coat it in special nail biter polish which tastes awful! Why expensive nail polish? Well, knowing how much it cost often made me not want to bite it off at all (I definitely wanted to get my monies worth!)
I had a lovely surprise this morning opening my inbox to find these gorgeous images by Maddie Waters Photography sitting there! Georgina was my bride from October 2018 and I had such a great time being with her, for her wedding at Sopley Mill. Georgina was amazing at allowing me free reign to design her something utterly feminine, yet with a sultry twist. Something which I knew she would pull off beautifully x
“Frances, Thank you so much, not only for the best make-up I’ve ever had!! But also for being such a clam & kind presence during the madness that is getting ready for your wedding day. You are an absolute star & amazing at what you do! Georgina xx”
Georgina, Sopley Mill Wedding, October 2018
New wedding scents to try for any wedding in 2019!
I simply love a good lip scrub. They are so effective in how they gently scrub away flaky, chapped skin from the lips leaving a lovely smooth feeling, plus they encourage blood to the surface of the lips providing a short lived lip plumping look that also helps stimulate the healing process. So all in all they are a great little secret weapon when it comes to kissable, soft lips. And, they ALL taste amazing! Here are my top fave 5 x
We’ve all over plucked our eyebrows at some time or another. Whether for fashion or perhaps just accidentally, it can be highly frustrating and a little embarrassing trying to grow them back. Here are my top 5 faves for saving those poor brows! x