Last week I decided to finally bite the bullet and have my eyebrows micro-bladed. There were a few reasons for my decision; after some personal stress I was finding my hair was falling out which also was affecting my brows, they were also not quite symmetrical and I also wanted to save time in the morning not having to pencil them in. When thinking of who I could trust with my brows I immediately thought of Karen Peake – she is simply the best micro-blade woman in the South of England! She is super busy as she gets booked up so quickly and for months in advance, so I was very lucky to get a last minute appointment with her.
When I arrived at Karen’s studio, she immediately put me at ease and made me feel like one of her best friends. I explained how I was feeling about my brows and what I usually do, and what I would like to get out of them. Karen understood exactly what I was after and expertly colour matched my brows.
After the procedure and through some careful aftercare, I am completely in love with my brows! And whats more, I have so much extra time in the mornings now not having to fill them in. Plus I’ve had so many compliments from clients asking where I’ve had them done!
I honestly cannot recommend Karen enough. If you’re brows are in need of some tlc (even if you don’t have any brows at all due to stress or illness) go to Karen! x
Hello lovely people! Here are the remaining Spring and Summer wedding dates for 2019 for either hair or makeup, or both! If you would like any of these special dates please do email me on email@example.com – or use my contact form on my website here
Maybe you have a friend who still needs to secure a hair & makeup artist for their day, or perhaps you are attending a wedding and need to look and feel glam! Get in touch x
Saturday 30th March | Saturday 20th April | Saturday 29th June | Saturday 27th July | Saturday 24th August | Saturday 14th September
I simply love a good lip scrub. They are so effective in how they gently scrub away flaky, chapped skin from the lips leaving a lovely smooth feeling, plus they encourage blood to the surface of the lips providing a short lived lip plumping look that also helps stimulate the healing process. So all in all they are a great little secret weapon when it comes to kissable, soft lips. And, they ALL taste amazing! Here are my top fave 5 x
1. Jeffree Star Cosmetics Velour Lip Scrub Valentines Collection in Chocolate covered Strawberries
2. Lush Lip Scrub in Bubblegum
3. Jeffree Star Cosmetics Velour Lip Scrub in Strawberry Gum
4. Lush Lip Scrub in The Kiss – soon to be discontinued
5. Jeffree Star Cosmetics Velour Lip Scrub Valentines Collection in Candy Necklace
Brace yourselves ladies – this one’s a bit controversial! If a friend offers to do your make up for your wedding it is obviously a beautiful gesture and is always done with the best intentions. Unfortunately, sometimes the pressure of the occasion just hits home and they pull out or the friend can no longer attend the wedding – usually because of the pressure of the occasion! Here are a few things to consider when asking should a friend to do your wedding makeup.
1. Your friend is amazing at makeup and has agreed to do the makeup for you and your bridesmaids for free as a gift. But is that same person attending your wedding? Will they have time to get ready themselves?
2. Will your friend by using her own make up or will she be using products that are designed for your skin type and colour?
3. Have you had a makeup trial with your friend and discussed the look you want, ensuring it will complement your dress, colour scheme and theme?
4. Worst case scenario here: your friend has done a wonderful look… but you hate it! How do you break the news? Sorry, that one’s a bit bleak but I’ve seen it happen and it can put a real dampener on your big day.
5. Remember to get your friend a lovely present to say thank you for being part of your big day.
If you are looking for your dream wedding venue, The Montagu Arms Hotel is hosting an exclusive wedding showcase on Saturday 26th January. To get on the guest list contact Clara Earp on Clara@montaguarmshotel.co.uk
PLEASE NOTE THIS IS AN EXCLUSIVE EVENT AND WILL NEED A TICKET IN ADVANCE. FOR YOUR CHANCE TO WIN A PLACE ON THE GUEST LIST CLICK HERE
Yes, the big question… should you hire a makeup artist for your wedding? It’s a question every bride puts to themselves – shortly followed by the follow up question… or can I get away with it myself? Often I think the answer is in the ‘get away with’ part. Do you really want your wedding makeup to be something you ‘get away with’? If you’re at that stage of questioning, then here are my top 5 reasons for booking a professional make up artist for your wedding.
1. Your wedding day is not a day for ‘everyday’ makeup. You’re going to be photographed all day – and not just by a professional wedding photographer. Remember your friends and family are all equipped with cameras too. Whether it’s for photographs using natural or flash photography or meeting your guests in sunshine or by candlelight, professionally applied makeup will translate well to all mediums.
2. Do you have a million different bridal looks on Pinterest and still can’t decide what to choose? A makeup artist can translate these looks, picking out key elements that will compliment your wedding gown, hairstyle, theme and colour scheme.
3. Makeup artists know skin (!) and we can help identify the areas that may become an issue on the big day. For example, that patch of dry skin or the potential breakout that you don’t know how to deal with? We can quickly analyse the condition of the skin and give you advice on the steps you could take to avoid future problems. It’s just one less thing to worry about… and it’s all part of the service.
4. Much as I hate to admit it, weddings can be stressful! And no one would blame you for feeling a bit nervous on the big day. Having a makeup artist means there will always be a steady hand to apply that cat flick eyeliner or tackle those false eyelashes. And we’ll always have a tissue nearby as well in case things get a bit teary!
5. OK, and this is the big one: hiring a makeup artist is not cheap! But you’ve spent oodles on that gorgeous wedding venue and catering, an eye watering amount on that perfect wedding gown… why skimp on yourself? It is your wedding after all! This is your chance to be pampered by the professionals so sit back and enjoy it!
Today’s big question concerns the bridal makeup trial, and what exactly is involved. Usually held approximately 6 weeks before your wedding day, the makeup trial is a chance to try out different styles that complement your wedding gown, colour scheme and theme. They also serve as an opportunity for a makeup artist to analyse the condition of the skin, and advise on ways to make sure it’s in tip top condition before the big day. But what exactly happens during the makeup trial? Here is a brief outline of how I like to approach the trial.
1. Firstly, hello! This is the first time we would have met after corresponding via email, facebook or over the phone. I like to see how you’re getting on with the planning stage, and if there is any assistance I can provide or any supplier recommendations you need.
2. Ok, let’s get down to business. For initial inspiration I like to see any images of your wedding gown, flowers or general colour themes. That way I can start to piece together a look that will complement all of these elements and (most importantly) something that will suit you and your gorgeous features.
3. I will then talk through the general outline of a makeup design I think will work, and if you’re happy with everything I’ve said then we begin! The makeup trial usually takes around an hour. As I work I will be getting to know your skin and how it responds to certain products. It is at this point I can quickly analyse the condition of the skin and provide advise on how to get the most out of your skincare regime.
4. After completing your initial look I will get you to have a look in my portable mirror (which you can then walk around the room with in different lights) to see if there is anything you want to add or change. It is at this point I fully encourage my bridal clients to really voice their opinions, even if they hate it! That way we can work together to build the perfect bespoke makeup design. If there are only minor changes such as more blusher, or a little less foundation then it all goes down in my diary to remember for the big day. Any major changes we correct together at the trial, so that you’re not worried about anything before the wedding.
I am a HUGE fan of perfume. I love having a choice between scents to match my mood, occasion or even outfit. But how can you make that gorgeous smell last all day? Well, I’ve complied a list of top tips on how to do just that. Hope you enjoy! x
5 Top Tips to extend the life of your perfume
1. Once you have your perfect bridal perfume don’t put it in direct sunlight, or in warm/damp place like the bathroom. The heat will break down the scent and lessen the quality. Instead pop it in a draw, or on top of a wardrobe away from windows.
2. Rub a little vaseline on your pulse points, as this will hold the scent better on your skin and for longer.
3. Pop your perfume on right after getting out of the shower, and before getting dressed. The moisture from the shower will help to lock in the scent – and putting your perfume on before dressing will stop any staining coming through on your wedding jewellery and dress!
4. For a lighter scent, spray in mid air and walk through the mist. The fragrance will distribute evenly over the body and leave a hint of scent. Perfect for if you have a very heady perfume.
5. Don’t rub your wrists together after applying perfume. This squashes the top notes and makes them disappear faster resulting in a fragrance that doesn’t last the morning!
If you’re having a 2019 wedding now is a great time to think about booking your special date for hair & makeup! With June and July almost fully booked – I very much urge all you lovely people to contact me to secure your wedding date.
And it couldn’t be easier! Simply email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or use my contact form on my website here x